Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Day 273

We are a peanut-butter-loving family. We put in on everything, from carrots to pancakes. The 11-year old ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day for lunch up until this year. My husband takes his own jar to work with him.

I just looked in our kitchen- we currently have 6 different jars of peanut butter. There is the traditional JIF jar, of course (although we do get the natural JIF. You should try it. Tons less sodium and no taste difference). But there is also chocolate peanut butter, honey-flavored peanut butter, two different kinds of natural organic peanut butter, and almond butter...

Did I mention that we like peanut butter?

One of the girls at work let me in on a secret though, and I'm gong to share it with you.

Powdered peanut butter!

I know, I know. Your first thought is, "What?! That doesn't sound right". And I agree, it sounds odd. But someone has figured out how to take the taste of the silky brown paste and put it into something that is devoid of the one thing that all actual butters have- oil. Some are better than others, but all nut butters have some fat.

But not with powder, baby.

I mixed two tablespoons of powder today with a tablespoon of water. That's only 45 calories, compared to 190 in my JIF. One gram of total fat compared to 16 grams. And it tastes good.

I may be in love.

I spread it onto my Wheat Thin crackers at work today, and can honestly say I was satisfied. I don't think it could be used for a sandwich, but it's definitely going in my arsenal for mixing in with oatmeal, shakes, and for dipping crackers and vegetables.

So tonight's picture celebrates peanut butter, in all of it's forms. Whether you pair it with jelly, celery, pancakes, or a spoon- it's hard not to love it. And now, I can love it even more with less guilt. Win win!



No comments:

Post a Comment