Sunday, September 28, 2014

Day 271

There are two things that I never discuss with my patients:

Politics and Religion.

It's just too risky. You could give your opinion innocently on something and lose their trust instantly. Or induce chest pain when they vehemently proclaim why the current President is or is not an idiot...As a nurse, we are trained to respect all religions and cultures, even taking entire college courses on both subjects so that we can understand, advocate, and better care for the melting pot of people that we see every day.

But personally, I have never been one to practice a formal religion. Instead, I have chosen to live a life of what I consider ethical and moral standards. My brain tends to lean towards the scientific end when it comes to creation and life as we know it, but I also respect the fact that others have different beliefs that are just as valid to them.

So instead of going to church when the alarm went of at 6 AM this morning, I pulled on my running shoes. And as I stood at the window eating my protein bar and drinking my coffee, I was amazed by the absolutely gorgeous sunrise that greeted me. Pinks and purples, oranges and blues, with clouds that shimmered like autumn rainbows with the colors reflected off of them.

I faced an 11-mile run this morning, my longest ever. I had decided to run in my neighborhood, so that I could lap back to my house for water as I needed it. Having finished my breakfast of champions and mapped my 11 miles out in my head, I took off into the sunrise.

During my first mile, I continued to glance at the sky, and couldn't help but have a moment of peace and wonderment. I had two hours on the road in front of me, and I decided that I would use that time to really look around me at the beauty which is nature and life.

My first hour was very quiet, as most people were still snug in their beds. But there were plenty of squirrels out and about, scurrying around with nuts in their mouths on their way back to their hidey holes or nests. I literally saw one squirrel dragging an entire cob of corn (a dried cob that someone probably used for outdoor decoration...) by the end across the street. What determination for such a small animal!

I admired the contrast of summer flowers still blooming and fall's foliage starting to emerge. Mums mixed with petunias in gardens and flower beds, the combination of warm days and cool nights being suitable for both species. There were pumpkins on porches, and plenty of scarecrows. Autumn wreaths adorned doors and spooky yard decorations gave no mistake that although the weather is warm, Halloween and Thanksgiving are just around the corner.

Then, suddenly, at about mile five, I realized that eating a protein bar and drinking coffee immediately before being away from a bathroom for 2 hours was not my best move....so I continued to look for things to distract me.

My second hour on the pavement revealed more human activity. Dog walkers abounded, as well as some gardeners. More cars were on the road, most likely on their way to a more formal kind of worship than my own. I continued to focus on my surroundings, and notice the little things- beautiful acorns and leaves on the ground, a man outside in his bare feet doing yoga, and a trio of giggling teenage girls coming out of a house after what was most likely a sleepover.

After I got home, showered, and....well yes, pooped, I went to pick up the 11-year old from his own sleepover. On the way back we passed a soybean field that has started to turn golden yellow. I was surprised to hear my son exclaim, "Mom look at that field! It's beautiful!". I smiled, told him to snap a picture of it, and knew that although I may not teach my son a formal way to worship, he was finding his own way just like I have.

So today's picture represents making your own path when it comes to moral and ethics. Whether created by science or a celestial presence, our planet and the creatures that inhabit it are a miracle, plain and simple. So take some time to look around you, admire the miracle of life, and be thankful to whoever or whatever gave you the opportunity to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment