Sunday, March 2, 2014

Day 61

I grew up with a mother who knew how to bargain shop. She taught me that you don't have to pay full price for nice things- in fact, most of the time it's just silly to do so. But to truly be successful at this, you must have two things- patience and creativity.

Luckily, I inherited both from her. I am definately more patient than creative, for my sister definately got the bulk of artistic ability in our family. But I do have a relatively decent ability to use color and texture well- as long as it matches of course...

And oh my goodness- I love to shop.

Some of my fondest memories growing up were shopping at Gold Circle or TJMaxx with my mom. I quickly learned that shopping in stores like this alotted me a much bigger take-home purchase. My mom would tell me a certain dollar amount that I could spend- and it was off to the races. I loved the whole process of digging through racks and piecing outfits together, clapping my hands in excitement when I would find a pair of mustard yellow shoes for $5 that matched perfectly with a printed sweater I found on the clearance rack (true story, but don't worry it was about 1989. I don't have mustard yellow shoes anymore). We would each go our seperate ways to look for treasures, then reconvene after trying everything on, giving opinions on which outfits to purchase and which to put back for someone else to find. We would spend entire weekend days hunting and perusing, packing snacks in our purse to get us through the afternoon. I loved coming home and putting away my new clothes, already busily thinking about how I would work them into my (ahem) organized closet and drawers . New things always went to the front and top of the closet and drawers, as all outfits were rotated based on when they were last worn- a process I still practice to this day and realize is consistent with at least 2 seperate psychiatric diagnoses...

My husband's best friend is married to a lovely woman who is kind of my twin seperated at birth. We joke about how creepy it is that both our husbands and us are so alike. They lived in Florida for many years and on my first visit we clicked right away. She loved to bargan shop just like I do, and we would peruse the outlets and Gabriel Brothers all day together while our husbands played golf. They have since moved to West Virgina, and we still get together and shop whenever we can, although it is only a couple times a year.

Then, a few years ago, I found a dear friend who lives just down the street and is the only one aside from my girlfriend in West Virginia and my mother who loves to shop like I do. We can literally do it all day (and all night and all the next day if it's Black Friday) and be perfectly happy even if we don't find/buy a thing. Because I can't just buy something because I need it. I have to really like it as well. That's one of the reasons I have never caught on to online shopping for most things- I have to see and touch what I am buying.

Take towels for instance. We are nearing the end of a bathroom remodel, and we needed new towels. Now some may have just ran out to Kohls or Target and purchased the first ones that matched. I, however cannot do that (much to my poor husband's dismay). I had to go to several stores over the period of almost two weeks, taking pictures and buying washcloths to bring home and put on the counter to see if I like them enough to buy a set. I had a bunch of girlfriends over last night for Bunco and even put two washcloths out on the counter and made them all go back and tell me their vote...

So today, I hit the jackpot. Not only did I get a new set of towels and washcloths- I also found the perfect mirror for above the sink and a new duvet for our bed. All high quality purchases for less than half of what they cost at full price in department stores. Even my husband muttered something about the mirror costing half of what he was going to buy at Home Depot simply because it was made by the same company as the vanity we purchased.

I didn't mind doing laundry this afternoon, because my washer was full of new linens and clean underwear (I was running dangerously low on the latter). And I am thankful that my mom taught me how to use patience and creativity to my advantage in the world of mercantile!



No comments:

Post a Comment