Saturday, March 29, 2014

Day 88

My parents are the king and queen of projects. Big projects, little projects- they've done them all. They are one of the few married couples out there that actually can put a piece of furniture together- or build a kitchen- without threat of divorce or loss of certain body parts.

My mom is newer to the game of projects, having been with my step-dad for about 15 years now. But as I have listened to him tell stories over the years- he has been "piddling" with this or that since his teenage years.

And not just for his own entertainment. He is one of those guys who you can call out of the blue and count on to bring his tool belt over whenever you need help with something. I can't tell you how many times I've gone over to their house to hear that he's out somewhere helping one of his buddies with their own projects. 

A few weeks ago I mentioned to my parents that I had bought some tomato seeds that I was going to try and plant. Next thing I know, we were talking about a joint project that involved growing mats and lights- because of course they already have stuff in the basement somewhere from when they tried their seed project once in the past...

So sure enough, this past Tuesday we planted herbs and vegetables in their basement and crossed our fingers. Today- only 4 days later- we are getting some sprouts. Therefore- my stepdad immediately went into project mode, because our babies needed light on a rainy/snowy/sleety day like today!

An hour later, using nothing but leftover materials from previous projects, we had built a support for 2 grow lights, shedding light on a gloomy day.

But while I was holding a piece of wood in place as he drilled it in place, I couldn't help but smile. He may not have come into my life until after I was an adult- but he has never failed to support me- whether it's been holding my hand as I puked my guts out during labor...or making a grow light stand.

Today's pic celebrates projects- big or small- and a stepdaughters thankfulness to have her stepdad by her side.



No comments:

Post a Comment