Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 74

Ah... Spring. The time of year when birds start to chirp, daffodils and tulips start to sprout from their bulbs, and dog poop reigns over all in the backyard.

That's right. Dog poop. Lots of dog poop. Like, 4 months of dog poop. And I have a dog that weighs 175 pounds...

Luckily, I also have a 10-year old who is anxious to earn cash to support his shoe habit. So when his Dad offered him $5 per week if he cleaned up dog poop every weekend, he jumped on the chance. Of course, he didn't realize what he was getting into. Literally.

My husband took him out back and showed him how to use the minature shovel we keep for this job. I was on my way out of the house to the gym when I looked back and saw the father mentoring his son on how best to maneuver around the yard to ensure he was capturing all of the winter's leftovers.

When I got back from the gym, I asked him how the poop-scooping went. "It sucked, Mom. It was no fun, let me tell you". "Well," I replied, "They are called 'chores', not 'fun-filled activities'". I told him it was a great lesson on how sometimes there are things and responsibilites in life that have to be done even when it stinks. Again, literally.

Later, as I was editing the pic for my blog, I realized that I happened to capture more than a father-son moment. Ironically, our small dog is squatting to add to the 10-year old's responsibilities at the same time he is shoveling another pile of shit. What a great life lesson, huh?

Today's pic represents the importance that our children learn responsibility and that both "chores" and shoveling shit are just a part of life that we all have to learn to get through.


No comments:

Post a Comment