Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day 84

Every parent hopes that their child finds something that they love to do. Over the last few years, I have watched my friend's children engross themselves in football or baseball, Minecraft or computer games, wrestling, and even art. And although my 10-year old has shown a general interest in many things, we just hadn't found "the one". I told my husband that he will probably be like I was when I was younger- good at a lot of things, but great at nothing.

We've tried to introduce him to lots of arenas, hoping to find something that he would really get excited about. He's played all the classics- football (both tackle and flag), soccer (fail), basketball, and baseball. Again- does ok, but doesn't have a lot of motivation to practice on his own to get better. We took him to triathalons last summer, thinking maybe a sport that was self-motivated instead of a team sport would grab his interest. He did well, but when I ask him if he wants to do it again this summer he hedges. He's done Boy Scouts, and we went to a 4-H information meeting- no inspiration. I've taken him to the art musems, Boonshoft, as well as Victoria Theatre and Schuster. We've offered music lessons, karate, bowling, and swim teams. "Nah"...

And then, all of a sudden, it clicked for him. Now, he has played basketball for 4 winters now, and had great coaches all the way through. But for some reason, this was the year that all of a sudden he just can't get enough of it. The only down side is he started to really get motivated at the end of the season...

He's watching Sports Center and ESPN basketball games- college and professional. He asked for basketball shoes instead of "regular" tennis shoes when his old ones finally gave out. And most importantly- he constantly wants to play. Morning, afternoon, and evening. I have had to be trained not to park the car close to the house when I come home, as it impedes his playing space. He plays at school at recess, and at his after-school program. He comes home and shoots by himself or with his dad. Even the cold weather hasn't stopped him- as you can see from today's pic that has snow flying around in the backround.

I stopped and watched him today for a little bit. I hadn't seen him shoot in a while, and was seriously suprised at how much better he's gotten. Even the guy who was fertilizing my neighbors' yard stopped and told him he was shooting awesome, noting his left-handedness.

So, hopefully he has found something to be passionate about. Because I feel like that is so important, especially in a young person. I still want him to do other things and play other sports, but if basketball is his muse I am in full support. And with the doctor predicting him to wind up somewhere between 6'4 and 6'`10" he has great potential to not only love it, but be really good at it.

But who knows, next week it may be fishing. Or designing tennis shoes. And that's ok, because as a parent it's my job to support him, not pressure him, no matter which path he wanders down. Today's picture represents the importance of having something to be passionate about, and a parent's thrill when their child finds something that makes them happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment