Friday, March 14, 2014

Day 73

A couple of years ago, my step-son married his high school sweetheart. There were fun-loving bets made that afternoon on how long before they had a child, and I have to admit that there was a part of me that selfishly was not ready to think about being a grandparent. My "goal" was to not be a grandma before the age of 40- like I had anything to do with whether or not that worked out...

But over the last year, the notion has started to grow on me. And now that I can officially announce that being a grandparent has become a reality, I can hardly contain my excitement. That's right- I'm going to be a grandma! Well, a step-grandma, but that still undoubtedly gives me bragging, buying, and general spoiling rights of some sort!

I've spent the last week smiling at babies in public, undoubtedly causing concern from a parent or two who wonders why the strange lady is staring at their child. I've already started to buy diapers, and am itching to find out whether it's a boy or a girl so that I can start buying the cute little outfits that are everywhere.

But there are some things that I am still just not ready for. Like those "Best Grandma Ever" sweatshirts and coffee mugs. Or really even the term "Grandma". I need something jazzier than that- like "Nana" or "Noonie". And maybe instead of the above-mentioned sweatshirt I will get a tank top that just has the acronym "GILF" in sparkles on it....or not.

So a huge congratulations to my step-son and his wife. The miracle of life and our ability to actually grow a human inside of us never ceases to amaze me. Today's picture represents the beginning of a new generation and the joy of knowing your child is gettng ready to start his own family.

No comments:

Post a Comment