Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 75

As I have mentioned before, I am fortunate to have been blessed with thick, full hair. I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, so you can only imagine what I could do with a bottle of hairspray and a hair dryer.  By high school though, I had a more tame style that was straight and all one length and bangs that covered my (also mentioned before) fuzzy eyebrows. 

I stayed in a hair rut for many years, until about 8 years ago when I ran into an old high school friend who told me I didn't look any different than I did in high school. I know she meant it as a compliment, but I went home that night and looked hard in the mirror- she was right, I didn't look any different. Same Old Same Old. 

It was time for a change. 

So I asked around at work if anyone knew a good hair stylist in my hometown and I was directed toward a salon that I had honestly never heard of. I didn't usually get my hair cut at a salon, and the lady I used to go to had moved too far away for me to justify the connection. So I took a chance and made a random appointment.

And there, fate led me to Jena. Young and hip in high heels and a super-modern haircut, I have to admit I was nervous at first. Could this gorgeous young woman with multi-colored hair understand my need for something different yet not too over-the-top? Taking a chance, I put my long, straight, boring hair in her hands- and I've been her biggest fan ever since.

Finding a stylist that is both talented and knows/understands you is every woman's hope. And when you do find it, you are more loyal to them than anyone or anywhere else you spend your money. Because there is nothing better than a good haircut. And nothing worse than a bad one. A good stylist is all that stands between you and 6-8 weeks of compliments or hat wearing.

And what is it about that bond between woman and stylist? I mean- look at Steel Magnolias and the other multitudes of movies that revolve around beauty salons or barber shops. That chair is like a therapist's couch sometimes- we tell them everything. I have sometimes wondered if part of their training is learning how to listen to us ramble and interact. I'm sure many of them could make a living on blackmail...

My grandfather taught me as young girl to always treat the people who help you with the utmost respect, because chances are that people who do things for others many times don't get the respect (or pay) they deserve- that may be your employees, your car mechanic, your waitress/waitor, or yes, your hair stylist. I have  always tried to live this way, and have found that not only is it the right thing to do- many times it works in your favor. The next time you need a project done at work,a car fixed in a hurry, or emergency hair coloring, chances are they will bend more for you to make it happen than someone else who treated them as just a paid employee. Treat them well, Pay them well, tip them well- 
they deserve it, and chances are some other jerk didn't appreciate their hard work.

I went to see Jena today. She's still young and gorgeous with way cuter hair than me, but there's no more nerves about whether or not I'll come out of there with a haircut 20 years younger than me. She always asks me, "what are we doing today?" and I love that I can just say, " Whatever you think. I trust you". All that's left is to enjoy the head massage, girl talk, and trashy magazines while I sit under the dryer.

Today's pic represents the bounce in your step and confidence boost gotten from a fresh haircut, and celebrates the bond between woman and stylist- you are the best Jena!




No comments:

Post a Comment