Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 71

Today I wore "street clothes" to work. For those of you who do not wear a uniform to work everyday, the term "street clothes" does not refer to miniskirts, peep toe heels, and tube tops. Instead, it is a term used to signify wearing an outfit other than the traditional scrubs to work.

One of the many things that I love about nursing is that I get to wear tennis shoes, a ponytail, and a uniform that is basically pajamas every day. I don't have to worry about figuring out what I'm going to wear tomorrow- only that I have clean underwear and sweatsocks.

But about once a week, I do get the urge to break out of the mold. And I do like to have an excuse for buying something other than yoga pants, workout clothes, and jeans. So I tend to pick one day during the week to wear my "street clothes" to work.

It's funny how many people will stop and look twice, at first not realizing it's me. Yup- same person, just cuter shoes and a little more eye makeup today. I kind of feel like Sandra Bullock in the movie "Miss Congeniality" where she walks out of the hangar after being all dolled up and people stare at her transformation from unnoticeable cop to knockout runway model. I still do the same job, scrubs or not, although I do try and time my non-scrub days when I think it's not going to be as busy on the unit. But those who have worked with me know that I'm as comfortable doing CPR in my Nine West pumps as I am in my sneakers. Today, in my street clothes, I attended meetings and sat with a patient and his family who is having open heart surgery tomorrow. But I also pulled chest tubes and passed meds.

When most people think of the word "nurse", they conjour up thoughts of someone with a stehoscope around their neck and scrubs on. But the truth is there are many nurses out there who wear street clothes every day, and who have jobs that are just as vital to the medical field and nursing profession. I am blessed to have a job that dips into both worlds, allowing me the comfort of tennis shoes most days and the vanity of dressing up a little once in a while. Because did I mention that I like to shop?

Tomorrow it's back to my blues. And happily, because I can't stand to iron more than once a week! And the truth is, the biggest reason I chose to wear street clothes today was because I didn't have any scrubs clean...

Today's picture represents breaking from the mold and the secret, small bit of vanity that we all should allow ourselves when we dress up a little more than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment