Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day 158

As I was cleaning out the 11-year old's backpack today, I came across a worksheet that caught my eye. It was an "All About Me" paper, which at first looked pretty typical- Name, Age, Favorite Subject in School, etc. But upon closer examination, I discovered this was a paper destined for the "Keep" pile, instead of the trash pile.

It started out plain enough:

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 100 pounds

Then the first clue came that I should continue reading:

Eyes: 20/20

I giggled. I had no idea he even knew what "20/20" meant. And so it continued, again innocently:

My Best Subject: Science .Um...he got his worst grade on his report card in Science...but then I saw

My Favorite Subject: Science. Aha. Ok, I get that.

It went on to describe his favorite book, and his worst subject in school, then it asked for three adjectives to describe himself. The first two made me proud, and the third made me giggle again:

1. Active
2. Kind
3. Awesome

He stated the most important thing about himself is that "I am nice to people". Another little mommy-chest-swell moment.

His biggest wish? That his older brother will come home. Loved that one so much I took a pic of it and sent it to his brother. No peer pressure or anything...

And of course, no All About Me paper would be complete without filling in the blank to the sentence "My Best Day_____"

"When I was born."

Well, of course. Because after all, he is awesome.

When I Grow Up I Want To Be: An NBA player. He tells everyone he can that he is going to be 6'7". The poor kid is going to be so disappointed when he's only 6'6". Oh well, at least he should be motivated at Basketball camp next week...

I took the worksheet, along with his report card and a handwritten note from his teacher, and placed them in the box where I have collected little things over the years. One day in the future, he will get quite a kick out of reading it.

Today's pic celebrates kids and their honesty, humbleness, and yes- awesomeness.



No comments:

Post a Comment