Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 181

More than 10 years ago, I got bit by a stray dog that I was trying to help. It was a big enough bite that I went to the urgent care to see if I needed stitches, but it was more of a puncture wound than a tear, so they basically had me soak it in betadine, gave me an antibiotic, and sent me on my way. While I was sitting in the cubicle with my had in the bucket of betadine, I made sure to take the time to feel sorry for myself. It had hurt like hell, and was definitely going to scar.

Then, a gentleman walked by me with his thumb in a plastic baggie.

Huh. Guess my injury wasn't so bad after all. 

Last night I jammed my toed at volleyball practice pretty hard. I don't think it's broken, but it's a little swollen and purple, and definitely sore. It was one of those days at work where I didn't pee or eat all day- therefore staying off my injured toe was a joke. 

I left work later than I had wanted to because it was so crazy, and showed up for my volleyball game in my scrubs. I took off my badge before I went in, changed into my flip flops, grabbed my bag, and walked in, eager to shed the work day. The flip flops weren't as stable as my tennis shoes and I was mentally boo-hooing about it and thinking about how it may affect my triathlon training as I walked into the facility.

Immediately after I walked in, a woman came in through another door and spotted me. She was limping and asked, "Are you a nurse?"

Crap.

I hate that. I mean, yes I'm a nurse but sometimes people want you to look at crazy things and give them advice on stuff you have no idea about. Just because I'm a nurse doesn't mean I'm an expert on skin rashes, pregnancy woes, or STDs...

"Yes", I say timidly. 

She points down to her foot. "Do you think it's broken?"

I look down. Whew- this was an easy one. Her toes were all sticking straight up while her sole was on the ground, and the top of her foot looked like a purple grapefruit had grown underneath the skin...

"Yes", I said- more confidently this time.

She immediately burst into tears, so I helped her call her husband to come pick her up, got her an ice pack and glass of water, elevated her foot on a bar stool, then excused myself to go change in the bathroom. As I took off my scrubs, I looked down at my barely-purple toe and had a moment of thanks that at least all my toes were pointing the right way...

I apologize that I have not had a pedicure, but tonight's pic represents the fact that no matter how bad you may think things are- chances are there is someone else in a worse spot than you. So be thankful that the dog didn't bite you on your dominant hand, and that your toes are not at a 90-degree angle from your foot. All in all- your day could have been worse.


No comments:

Post a Comment