Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 159

I haven't had many chances yet this spring and summer to "get on my bike and ride", as one of my favorite musicians would say. Early last spring, I went shopping for my first bike since high school. As you may suspect, bikes are much more advanced than they were 25 years ago. When the salesman asked what type of bike I was interested in, the word "Huffy" was all I could think of....turns out even the term "10-speed" is no longer significant in the world of bicycles.

After bringing my new bike home, I was surprised at how nervous I was about actually getting on it. I didn't get clips on my pedals, but I did get the cages, and that plus the super-skinny tires (compared to my Huffy they were super-skinny at least...) and multiple ways to change gears was enough to make my heart rate scoot up even before I started pedaling!

Eventually, I got the hang of it again ( I know, I know- "like riding a bike"). And this year, it was just a matter of sweeping off the cobwebs (literally and figuratively, as my bike had been in the garage all winter) before I was out and on the road again.

This morning was my first "long" ride of the year. Ninety minutes of pushing pedals got me a little over 20 miles. If anyone is wondering, riding a bike in the gym is NOTHING like riding in real life. Spinning is a little more realistic, as you at least get the added practice of upper body form- the regular bikes at the gym just don't do justice to the upper body strength it takes to stay in an aerodynamic position that long.

At the 45-minute mark I stopped, turned my bike around, and chomped down some power gel-blocks. I closed my eyes, willing the blocks to to take effect immediately, because I was ti-red. The first half of the ride had been sets of high gear pushing, and I knew I still had 30-minutes of moderate effort to go.

I closed my eyes again, and forced myself to start thinking about the positives surrounding my ride on the way back. It was early on a Sunday morning, and the vast majority of my time on the path was devoid of other humans.

But it was far from empty.

I saw nature like I haven't been able to see it for awhile. Thoughts of summer camps as a child in the woods filled my head as I drove through the quiet areas of forest. I shared the path with squirrels, rabbits, a cute-as-a-button chipmunk, and even a young deer came out to greet me.

My second wind kicked in, and I limped back home. Isn't funny though how you can be so exhausted yet feel so good at the same time?

Today's pic represents the simple pleasure of a morning bike ride with nature, and the dopamine rush from finishing a long haul.


No comments:

Post a Comment