Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 175

My little mutt has a big attitude. He thinks he is king of the house, no matter that he is by far the smallest of the pack. The 170-pound Mastiff is no challenge, nor am I for that matter. He listens to my husband (grr....) but that's about it.

He is loud, stubborn, and generally a pain in the ass. But every once in a while, he does something that gives me hope. He will crawl in my lap and cuddle during a movie (after he paws me to death for five minutes to find just the right spot). He will sit by my chair and whine quietly until I pet him. Oh wait- that is part of being a pain in the ass. At least he whines quietly....

Tonight, I started to walk out of my bathroom and almost tripped over something. Looking down, I see the mutt with his tennis ball. He picked up his ball,  looked at me, then rolled onto his back- something he NEVER does to me. I am laughingly the farthest from being alpha as far as he is concerned. But there he was, looking at me with puppy eyes, pleading for me to toss the ball down the hallway.

So I promptly stepped over him and went about my business- "I'll show you who's in charge around here, you little #$%^".

Now many of you will be surprised by this, as it's not my personality. And your'e exactly right. I'm a weenie. I didn't step over him- but I definitely thought about it....

I threw the stinking ball. And of course it wasn't just one time- it was at least 10 before he had his fill of it. But he was so happy. Don't you wish you could be that happy just from chasing after a ball? He laid down next to me with his ball afterwards, happily gnawing at it while his tail wagged. I spent a few more minutes petting him, then moved on to write my post.

Tonight's pic represents relationships and how the best ones fluctuate with who is currently alpha and who is not. Even the most dominant person should roll on their back every once in a while and ask someone else to do something for them. It can be rewarding for both parties. Just don't sit next to them and whine quietly afterwards like the mutt is currently doing....



No comments:

Post a Comment