Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Day 173

As I have mentioned before, I love to play volleyball. Magically, it has become a family favorite over the last year at our house. I now play on 2 different teams, including one with my husband, and the 11-year old has started to really like the sport as well.

We now have a volleyball net in our backyard, and the three of us are out in the yard at least once or twice a day practicing. We are contemplating putting a "real" sand court in our backyard- a compromise on my husband's part as I would really rather have a pool...

We have made great friends through our volleyball league, and strengthened other friendships. Volleyball is one of those games where all ages can play- like golf. Or bowling.

Friends of ours had a summer barbecue yesterday, and one of the many things they had for adult and child entertainment was a volleyball net. He even mowed the grass around the court shorter than the rest of the yard so we could tell which balls were "in" or "out". Little did he know how important those lines would become later that night...

There were many of us from our volleyball team present, but in truth it was volleyball fun for all- kids and adults alike played. There were crazy hits that had everyone laughing, husband-and-wife arguments ("that was your ball"- "no it was yours"), and a referee complete with a whistle.

But as the sun went down, most people either migrated to the bonfire or headed home. We sat and talked, bonding like you just naturally do around a campfire.

As the clock struck midnight, word made it to the campfire that another volleyball game was going to start. Those of us not akin to this plan looked at each other puzzled, as it was pitch black out by the field. 

"How are we going to see the ball?" one wife asked.

"Flood lights, silly", answered her husband.

Oh yes. Silly us.

Sure enough, our host was hauling out floodlights and extension cords from his garage, and our husbands were rigging them to the posts and sitting them on chairs. They looked very proud of themselves, and challenged us to a game of "girls vs guys".  The wives looked at each other for a moment with raised eyebrows....then shrugged and took our shoes off.

What crazy fun. We were loud and obnoxious, and admittedly a little slow and tipsy from an evening of hamburgers and beer. I'm pretty sure I both peed myself a little from laughing and stepped in dog shit, but I just closed my eyes and willed myself to believe it was dew from the grass...

One wife couldn't get the hang of serving with her hand---so she drop-kicked the ball over the net as a serve instead.

 Eleven times in a row.

 And all but one went directly to her husband. Hilarious.

The kids eventually ventured out of the play-world in the basement (they probably heard us squealing and laughing), and we turned "guys vs girls" once more into a mixed bag of family fun. We rounded out the evening with smores for the kids (ok I might have eaten one) back at the smoldering bonfire, then we finally thanked our hosts for a great evening and left, making comments on the way home about how we can't believe we stayed out so late (I mean, we're old for Pete's sake!).

Today's pic was technically taken today, so I decided to count it :). It celebrates making memories with friends and family, and doing something crazy. We came home this morning with grass stains on our knees, smores in our bellies, and smiles on our faces. 

Oh and I came home with a little extra- I discovered it was definitely dog shit on my feet :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment